About The Thank You Ocean Campaign
The California’s Thank You Ocean Campaign is a nonprofit partnership supported by the State of California, the NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries and the Ocean Communicators Alliance. The campaign mission is to unite voices and amplify messages to raise ocean awareness and promote everyday actions that protect the ocean.
The campaign features an inspiring public service announcement (PSA) produced by world-renowned cinematographer, Bob Talbot, and a “Don’t Trash the Beach” PSA featuring actor and activist, Edward James Olmos, an out-of-door advertising campaign, a extensive toolkit for the California Ocean Communicators Alliance, a bi-weekly podcast series featuring leaders in ocean policy, and this Web site. The campaign is focused on educating the public about the importance of sustaining ocean life and inspiring Californians to practice ocean stewardship to alleviate four major threats to the ocean:
A Call to Action
In Governor Schwarzenegger’s 2004 Ocean Action Plan, he called for the development of a public awareness campaign that empowers individuals to understand and take action to address the threats facing the ocean. The 2004 federal U.S. Ocean Action Plan also called for greater public education about the importance of the nation’s coasts and oceans. In 2006, the California Thank You Ocean Campaign was launched to fulfill both of these plans’ call to action.
In 2008, the Thank You Ocean Campaign received the Coastal America Award, the highest award from the White House, for its ocean and coastal initiatives. In addition, Governor Schwarzenegger proclaimed June 8, 2008 “Thank You Ocean Day” throughout California to coincide with World Ocean Day.
Thank You Ocean Campaign Leadership, Staff & Consultants
The Thank You Ocean Campaign is co-chaired by:
- Matt Stout, Chief of Staff, Communications and Media, NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
- Amy Vierra, Deputy Director, California Ocean Protection Council
Several staff members support the campaign as well, including:
- Sarah Marquis, West Coast/Pacific Media Coordinator, NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
- Claire Fackler, National Education Liaison, NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
- Valerie Termini, Project Manager, California Ocean Protection Council
- Miho Umezawa, Project Manager, Thank You Ocean
- Karen Kayfetz, Sea Grant Fellow, California Ocean Protection Council
- Liz Parassenti, Sea Grant Fellow, California Ocean Protection Council
If you have any questions regarding the campaign, please contact Miho Umezawa at email@example.com or (916) 905-5649. Thank you.