About The Thank You Ocean Campaign
The California’s Thank You Ocean Campaign is a nonprofit partnership supported by the State of California, the NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries and the Ocean Communicators Alliance. The campaign mission is to unite voices and amplify messages to raise ocean awareness and promote everyday actions that protect the ocean.
The campaign features an inspiring public service announcement (PSA) produced by world-renowned cinematographer, Bob Talbot, and a “Don’t Trash the Beach” PSA featuring actor and activist, Edward James Olmos, an out-of-door advertising campaign, a extensive toolkit for the California Ocean Communicators Alliance, a bi-weekly podcast series featuring leaders in ocean policy, and this Web site. The campaign is focused on educating the public about the importance of sustaining ocean life and inspiring Californians to practice ocean stewardship to alleviate four major threats to the ocean:
- Climate Change
- Marine Debris
- Water Pollution
- Marine Life Decline
A Call to Action
In Governor Schwarzenegger’s 2004 Ocean Action Plan, he called for the development of a public awareness campaign that empowers individuals to understand and take action to address the threats facing the ocean. The 2004 federal U.S. Ocean Action Plan also called for greater public education about the importance of the nation’s coasts and oceans. In 2006, the California Thank You Ocean Campaign was launched to fulfill both of these plans’ call to action.
In 2008, the Thank You Ocean Campaign received the Coastal America Award, the highest award from the White House, for its ocean and coastal initiatives. In addition, Governor Schwarzenegger proclaimed June 8, 2008 “Thank You Ocean Day” throughout California to coincide with World Ocean Day.
Thank You Ocean Campaign Leadership, Staff & Consultants
The Thank You Ocean Campaign is co-chaired by:
- Matt Stout, Chief of Staff, Communications and Media, NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
- Amy Vierra, Deputy Director, California Ocean Protection Council
Several staff members support the campaign as well, including:
- Sarah Marquis, West Coast/Pacific Media Coordinator, NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
- Claire Fackler, National Education Liaison, NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
- Valerie Termini, Project Manager, California Ocean Protection Council
- Miho Umezawa, Campaign Manager, Thank You Ocean
- Bethany Baibak, Sea Grant Fellow, California Department of Parks and Recreation
- Hayley Carter, Sea Grant Fellow, California Ocean Science Trust
- Andrea Dransfield, Sea Grant Fellow, Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary
- Kelly Keen, Sea Grant Fellow, California State Lands Commission
- Anniken Lydon, Sea Grant Fellow, San Francisco Bay Area Conservation and Development Commission
- Katie Morrice, Sea Grant Fellow,Delta Science Program
- Emily Mortazavi, Sea Grant Fellow, Delta Science Program
- Ariadne Reynolds, Sea Grant Fellow, California State Coastal Conservancy
- Mandy Sackett, Sea Grant Fellow, California Ocean Protection Council
- Joseph Street, Sea Grant Fellow, California Coastal Commission
- Marisa Villarreal, Sea Grant Fellow, California Natural Resources Agency
- Jessica Watson, Sea Grant Fellow, California State Coastal Conservancy
- Claire Waggoner, Sea Grant Fellow, State Water Resources Control Board
If you have any questions regarding the campaign, please contact Miho Umezawa at firstname.lastname@example.org or (916) 905-5649. Thank you.